Sunday, May 20, 2012

Profiter Bien-Walking in Paris

Bonjour mes amis!
Today is study day but YESTERDAY was another super "profiter bien" day.  I met up with Nora and Emily, some JYF friends with the goal of waking all around Paris.  I met up with them outside Notre Dame to start our half-marathon walk.  I could not believe how many freaking tourists there were.  It was sunny yesterday morning, and the tourist season is starting....I now understand why Parisians get the hell out of Paris for the tourist season....

 Yay bread party outside Notre Dame!!
 So many baguettes....they had free samples too!!

It was actually pretty warm out yesterday, so we walked over to Ile-St Louis for some much needed  Berthillon ice cream.  I got honey-nougat this time!  We then headed over to the Luxembourg gardens to meet up with Olivia, and then headed towards les Invalides.  On the way we passed... 


 Rue Cler
A big market street!  It was perfect walking weather, not too hot or too cold, although it could have been sunnier.  Paris weather is very temperamental...after les Invalides, we headed over to the Champ de Mars, the garden across from the Eiffel Tower.  We stumbled on this monument, I had never seen it before.  I still don't really know what it is though....even after 4 and a half months, Paris still surprises me!!
 Damn tourists, ruining my pictures...

Yay the Tour Eiffel!!
The lines to go up were insanely long....
We then walked up to the Arc de Triomphe, and part way down the Champs Elysees.  Olivia then hopped on a bus to go to Sugarplum, an American coffee shop to study for a bit.  It was the first time I took the bus in Paris!  Je ulitlise le metro, tout le temps, tout le temps.....it is way more reliable in my opinion, but on the bus you can look around...I forgot to take a pic of Sugarplum, so thanks to Google Images for the pics of the inside!

So many cakes!!!
After a little review for our atilier d'ecriture final tomorrow, I headed out into the Parisian rain to make my way back to my host family's apt to change for dinner out.  We decided to have a French meal for our last Saturday together as a whole group (tres triste!) so we headed up to Montmartre.

 Yep, I had escargot again.  I split the order with a friend who had not tried them yet.  Delicieux!

Tartiflette
I had this dish one other time in Lyon and it is sooo good!  It's like the French version of Poutine, with potatoes, cheese, and lardons (basically bacon, only better).  At first I could not find the lardons, and then after some digging, I found a whole pile of them!  NOM NOM NOM

Two finals to go, and less than a week left now....PROFITER BIEN!!
Bisous,
Allison


No comments:

Post a Comment