Thursday, May 3, 2012

Roman Holiday: The Colosseum, The Roman Forum, and Palatine Hill

Bonjour encoreeee mes amis.
And now for my last Roman blog post! Thank goodness for the ticket reservation system, because once again we got to be VIPs and jump the line at the Colosseum! 
A handy-dandy map so you can get your bearings!  The Colosseum is on the right bank of the Tiber.

The original name of the Colosseum was the Amphitheatrum Flavium or the Flavian Amphitheater.  It was built between 72AD-80AD and is largest amphitheater built during the Roman Empire.  It could seat 50,000 people for the gladiator fights and other spectacles!
Getting artsy at the Colosseum!

Inside the ruins...
The Colosseum is also a religious site, Christian Martyrs passed away on the grounds.  The Pope leads a station of the Cross procession there each Good Friday.
Remains of the columns
The stadium used to be filled with seats like those.
What a lovely Roman Holiday...
Looking through the arches to Palatine Hill
The Arch of Constantine
Built in 315 to commemorate Emperor Constantine's victory over Maxentius at Milvian Bridge.
Here's a close up of some of the friezes:
The Forum
Climbing up Palatine Hill! 
According to myth, the twins Romulus and Reumus (founders of Rome) were found on this hill...
The remains of some of the Roman Emperor's Palaces are here.
Getting our nature fix!
Parisians at Palatine!
SO MANY RUINS
The top of the hill has wonderful views of Rome.  You can see the golden dome of St. Peter's in the distance....
more pretty views
Roman Forum on my left, Colosseum on my right.
Yep, this is real life!
More of the Forum, the center of Roman public life.
The Forum was the marketplace, the center of government, the place where speeches were made and trials were held....basically the place to see and be seen!
Arch of Titus
Built in 82 AD by Emperor Domitian to honor his brother Titus' victories, particularly the Siege of Jerusalem.
Everything is so old!
I AM CAESAR
yeah we got our picture with a gladiator...
The Spanish Steps
This picture back tracks a little, but we got locked in the metro, because it closes at 9pm. WHO THE HELL CLOSES THE METRO AT 9PM????  Thank goodness I'm studying in Paris where the metro is open a little past midnight and until 2am on the weekends. 
Graffiti on the metro on the way to the Colosseum
I think it looks kind of cool....but I'm glad all the Parisian metros are not covered in graffiti!
And back to the last night in Rome.  After my KKG sister Carol and I had dinner, we walked around Rome.  The city is beautiful at night....
The one modern fountain in Rome!
Yours truly and Carol at Trevi Fountain
It is a million times better at night.  It's all lit up, and there are way fewer people, so you can enjoy it...
Another study abroad moment that takes your breath away...

Ciao Rome!  The next day Eric and I headed off to spend the rest of our break in the south of France.  I loved my trip to Italy, it was the first time I had ever been.  It was so different from France, and each city had its own unique charm.  I loved seeing the sights that I had read about in history class, seen in movies, or read about in books.  And eating Italian food in Italy was something else.  Everything was absolutely delicious.  The best meal was the one we made at my cooking class though!  If you missed that post, you can find it here .  I did miss my baguettes and macaron however....

Italian is such a lovely language, and I tried my best with my phrasebook.  Sometimes people thought I spoke Italian, and would ramble off, and then I would blow my cover and say, "no parlo italiano."  It does have its similarities to French, so sometimes I could understand the gist of what people were saying to me!  Yay for Romance languages.  It was quite the relief to get back to France where I understand (almost) everyone though!

Next post will be on Nice!
Ciao (pour le dernier fois)
Allison 

1 comment: